The Lifestyle Scoop is a series of interviews featuring amazing and inspiring individuals. These individuals will answer fun and interesting questions relating to their lifestyles and some social issues we face every day.
The amazing individual on today’s episode of the Scoop is no other person than the fast-rising Nigerian model and fashion designer, Shamz Garuba. Shamz has worked with some Nigerian fashion brands and has graced the GTB Fashion runway. Here, he shares how he spends his free time, gave his opinion on bleaching creams, what he recommends every man should have in his wardrobe, and so much more!
1. Hello Shamz, thanks for being a part of September’s Lifestyle Scoop. You are a Fashion Model and a Fashion Designer, how would you describe your style?
It’s a pleasure, I have been looking forward to this. I will describe my style as minimalistic, classy, and casual. I love wearing plain and earthy tones colors.
2. It is rare to find a guy that keeps it stylish most of the time, what inspires your sense of style?
Well, we have our days. For me, I have adopted a simple style, which is part of my everyday life. My mood, environment, and the media, of course, inspire my sense of style, I follow some people who have similar styles to mine, and they inspire me in one way or the other.
3. You have a fashion brand/line for the minimalist man called Garndre, our readers would like to know more about it?
Oh yes, I do. Garndre is an e-commerce clothing and design line for the minimalist man. The brand is accentuated towards the man that loves simple, comfortable, neutral, yet fashionable clothing. Garndre designs are timeless and trans-seasonal while exhibiting thoughtful and interesting details. Garndre encourages sustainability, as it is made of simple, significant, and long-lived designs. The brand pushes the actuality that “there is happiness in simplicity”
4. Do you intend to collaborate with any fashion designer in the future? And if yes, who might that be? I’m curious. Smiles
Hmmmmm. Honestly, I am open to collaborating with anyone who shares the same drive, tenacity, and vision as me, and who I can learn from in terms of creativity. However, one person I would love to collaborate with in the future is Kim Jones (Artistic director of Dior Menswear). He is one creative that wows me anytime he shows at fashion week.
5. Still on fashion, what essentials do you recommend every guy should have in his closet?
A white shirt, a pair of jeans, white sneakers, T-shirts, a very well-tailored suit, and black shoes.
6. Adidas or Nike?
Nike. All day, every day!
7. Which do you prefer, working out at home or going to the gym?
I prefer going to the gym, although I am yet to register for one at the moment. But it will happen lol
8. What’s your guilty pleasure? * smiles*
Indulging in specific junk food (Shortbread biscuit, bread, and chocolate cake)
9. How do you spend your free time?
I’m more of an indoor guy. Regularly, I’ll make a nice meal and watch some movies that I added to my list.
10. Drake or Eminem?
Drake (Certified Lover Boy . Laughs)
11. A night out with Beyoncé or a hangout with Bill Gates? and why the choice?
Both are great people in their respective ways, but I’ll go with Bill Gates, because Bill Gates is an experienced business guy and an organizational leader, and I’ll definitely learn the ropes of running a disruptive business.
12. What’s your favorite food?
Beans and fried plantain *grins*
13. What’s your take on bleaching creams?
Never been a fan of bleaching creams, because I have never witnessed a healthy skin of any shade that is ugly. And the negative effects of using bleaching creams are endless, so it is pointless to me.
14. So, let’s talk about business, and the pandemic, as a business owner, has the pandemic affected your fashion business in any way?
It hasn’t affected the business so much, because we launched after the lockdown was eased and eventually terminated. People can travel now and go out now as long as they are adhering to COVID guidelines, which means opportunities to add pieces to your closet.
15. What is the best perfume you’ve ever worn/used?
Definitely the Tom Ford Black Orchid
16. Last but not least, what advice would you give to young people who wish to be fashion models or fashion designers?
I’ll say there is no easy lane to any career. So if you find yourself in any career, be open to constantly learn and surround yourself with people that will add value to you.
17. Thank you so much for taking out time to answer these questions
———————————————————– Closing curtains———————————————————-
Finally, thank you for reading and sharing. It was so much fun putting the bits and pieces together to make ‘The Lifestyle Scoop” series kick off with Shamz Garuba. If you enjoyed this interview and want more of this, don’t forget to follow us on Insta, and watch this space! :). Also, if you want to join the team and have a passion for lifestyle content creation, don’t forget to reach out here