Hair growth is intentional. In Nigeria, we often believe that intensive hair care should be done mostly by people who wear Natural/Virgin hair because natural hair is difficult to maintain. Here’s the truth, all black hair deserve intensive care, especially relaxed hair because the hair has been chemically straightened with a chemical cream called a relaxer. Which opens the hair cuticles, penetrates the cortex, and breaks down the bonds that make a hair strand curl.
Do’s of Relaxed Hair
- Find a Good Relaxer (No-lye): I strongly recommend a no-lye hair relaxer for sensitive scalped ladies because it is less irritating on the scalp and it reduces hair breakage. There are some good quality no-lye relaxer brands out there, but my personal preference is the Mega-growth No-lye relaxer. If you are in Nigeria or US, you can easily reach out to them on their Instagram page.
- Use a sulphate-free shampoo: Always check what in of a hair shampoo before purchasing. One hair mistake people make is not using a neutralising shampoo or using a sulphate-filled shampoo. If it contains sulphate, discard it. Sulphate strips your hair of natural oils which helps to prevent hair breakage.
- Wear Protective Hairstyles Only: There are countless options for protective hairstyles. We have cornrows, braids, twists, etc. These styles keep your relaxed hair protected from damage.
- Get A Protein Treatment: Your hair is made up of protein components and when you go into a hair relaxing treatment. These protein bonds in your strands are broken. It’s important to replenish your hair’s protein elements. An example of a home-made protein mix treatment is the egg and honey mixture.
Don’ts of Relaxed Hair
- Don’t use chemical/inorganic hair dyes: Your hair is already processed and using additional chemicals to it
can damage it further.
- Do not use alcohol or synthetic hair products: Avoid products with petroleum, which can lead to excessive dryness. Use natural products like coconut oil, Argan oil, castor oil, etc.
- Do not apply excessive heat to your hair: Daily usage of straighteners is not advisable. Excessive heat can cause damage to the hair follicles.
Finally, your hair is your crown, take good care of it.
Thanks for stopping by! And we hope to see you soonest, and please don’t forget to be part of our Instagram community by clicking on the IG icon on this page.